REVIEW AND APPROVAL PROCEDURES
In meeting our goal to provide safe and efficient facilities to State agencies and the public, certain public works projects are reviewed by the Division (DFM). All State departments and agencies (including school districts) are required to submit to the Office of Management and Budget, proposed contracts for architectural, engineering or construction management services as well as all architectural, structural, electrical/mechanical plans, specifications and cost estimates (source Delaware Code, Title 29, Chapter 74, Section 7419 and Chapter 63A, Section 6307A).
All State departments and agencies (including all school districts).
The Architectural Accessibility Board (AAB) is housed within the Office of Management and Budget for administrative reasons, but as a separate agency of the State, maintains an independent review and approval process. The Architectural Accessibility Act (Delaware Code, Title 29, Chapter 73) requires submission of certain plans and specifications to the Architectural Accessibility Board. Submission to the AAB may be made concurrent to the Division application, but include a separate transmittal letter to the Chief Administrator.
Delaware Code, Title 16, Chapter 78, Section 7805 (1) requires that all agencies utilizing State funds from any source to perform asbestos abatement must have plans and specifications approved by DFM.
Projects Requiring Submission
Plans, specifications and professional services agreements are required by DFM for those projects that are:
- Constructed by or on behalf of the State of Delaware.
- Financed in whole or in part by the State or by bonds in whole or in part by the State.
- Financed by the federal government through a state agency. Highway construction projects do not need to be submitted for review and approval except those identified by the AAB as requiring submission.
- Facilities leased by the State (regardless of whether alterations will be made).
Construction plans/specifications, cost estimates and professional services agreements are to be mailed along with a transmittal letter to:
Office of Management and Budget
Division of Facilities Management
Chief of Engineering and Operations
540 S. DuPont Highway, Suite 1
Dover, DE 19901
Telephone: (302) 739-5644
- Public Works Project Review Form: All contracts, plans and specifications submitted to the Division of Facilities Management for review must be accompanied by a completed Public Works Project Review Form.
- Professional Design Service or Construction Management Contract/Agreement: If the purpose of the submission is for the review and approval of architectural, engineering or construction management services, the proposed contract or agreement and the Professional Services Contract Review Form must be completed and submitted with the requested information.
- Construction Plans and Specifications: Three (3) complete sets of final plans and specifications must be submitted (cover page of project manual and every drawing shall be signed and sealed). Two (2) copies are sent to the Chief of Engineering and Operations and one (1) copy is sent to the Architectural Accessibility Board. Note: for DFM-managed projects, address documents to the DFM project manager assigned.
- Life Cycle Cost Analysis: As outlined in Delaware Code, Title 29, Chapter 69, section 6909A, the use of life cycle cost analysis is required in the purchasing of equipment and in public works projects. See here for LCCA Requirements.
- Design Review Checklist: Submissions of plans and specifications must be accompanied by a completed and signed Design Review Checklist. (see below for further details)
- Asbestos Plans and Specifications: One copy of final plans and specifications must be submitted to the Chief of Engineering and Operations.
DFM-Managed Design Review Process
Includes all DFM-managed projects – View Review Process
State Agency Project Design Review Process
Includes all State-funded Public Works projects including DNREC Parks & Recreation, DelDOT non-highway projects, and other projects in State-owned or leased facilities. – View Review Process
School Project Design Review Process
Includes all State-funded K-12 school projects (Major Cap only, Minor Cap do not require DFM review) – View Review Process
Project Design Review Process Response
- The Chief of Engineering and Operations will issue a letter, indicating the overall findings of the review.
- For reviews that have been “Not Approved”, the agency must provide a new review package (plans and specifications) or submit a letter that addresses the issues/comments that were a basis for disapproval.
- All environmental compliance issues (asbestos abatement, underground storage tank, etc.) will require approval from the Chief of Engineering and Operations.
- The Architectural Accessibility Board will issue an approval/disapproval letter indicating that the plans and specifications comply with State accessibility standards.